New IRS Initiative Giving Rise to More Employment Tax Audits This Fallwritten by
2845 views | 0 comments
The Internal Revenue Service has announced a new National Research Program ("NRP") initiative relating to employment taxes. The IRS started NRPs in 2001 to measure the "tax gap."
The "tax gap" is the difference between the amount of income that taxpayers voluntarily report and pay tax on, versus the amount of tax that the IRS perceives is actually due. An NRP assesses the effectiveness of the existing compliance programs so that taxpayers will report and pay tax on the full amount of taxpayer income (since the IRS' stated goal is to promote voluntary taxpayer compliance).
Basically, an NRP can be likened to an industry-wide audit. The IRS will use the data gathered from this "mass audit" to improve the IRS' programs promoting voluntary compliance with regard to employment taxes.
Leave A Comment
Latest "Tax Compliance" Articles
- Department of Labor Looks to Level the Playing Field
08-04-2010 3176 Views 0 Comments
- The Benefits of Employee Leasing
05-07-2010 3517 Views 0 Comments
- Healthcare Reform Update: Small Employer Tax Credit
04-08-2010 3272 Views 0 Comments
- Interview with Sales Manager Mike Plowman on Employer Tax Compliance
03-12-2010 2891 Views 0 Comments
- Arizona Tax Credits: New Employer Withholding Law
02-09-2010 2901 Views 0 Comments
- Why Should I Hire an Accountant For My Business?
01-08-2010 2650 Views 0 Comments
- New IRS Initiative Giving Rise to More Employment Tax Audits This Fall
08-05-2009 2845 Views 0 Comments
- Video: Can you be held personally responsible for Employer Taxes
07-27-2009 3095 Views 0 Comments
- Optimizing Your S Corporation Tax Breaks Through a Downturn
05-14-2009 2975 Views 0 Comments
- Accounting Basics - What is Income Statement?
04-20-2009 3244 Views 0 Comments
Related Articles | All Articles